The service heiCLOUD offered by the University Computing Center Heidelberg supplies all institutes of the University of Heidelberg as well as members of the DFN-Verein with chargeable IT resources, which can be used analogous to similar offers of commercial providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform (GCP) or Microsoft Azure. The focus lies on self-provisioning and flexible scaling of the required resources, the provision takes place on one's own responsibility and without lengthy application procedures.
The heiCLOUD allows the provisioning and usage of virtual IT infrastructure, e.g. :
- Completely isolated, freely configurable virtual networks (routers, subnets, public IPv4 addresses).
- Virtual machines (public or self-created images for Linux/Windows).
- Flexible block and object storage (a few GiB to several hundred TiB possible).
A REST-based API is available for administration, which can be used with the help of a web interface (dashboard), various command-line interfaces (CLI) or directly via the corresponding programming interface.
- IaaS for science
From researchers for researchers.
- Freely manage IT resources by yourself
Via Dashboard or REST-API.
- Stable and fast connection
About the DFN science network X-WiN.
- High availability
Uniformly redundant infrastructure.
- High security standards
Server rooms on the Heidelberg campus.
- High scalability
The cloud grows with your needs.
- Open Source
Based on OpenStack.
- Freely selectable VM operating systems
Windows, Linux, BSD, own images.
- Transparent accounting
According to time or resource consumption.
- Available in the German Research Network
For research and teaching nationwide.