Managing security groups
Instances in heiCLOUD are located behind a firewall. This firewall receives its rules from a security group. Depending on how you want to access an instance, you need to create security groups with the rules you require.
- Log in to heiCLOUD.
- Under Project → Compute, click on Access & Security. Click on the Security Groups tab. You will see an overview of your (existing) security groups.
- (Optional) In the top right, click on the Create Security Group button. A new window will open.
- (Optional) Enter a name for the security group (e.g. SSH-Access).
- To manage a security group, click on the Manage Rules button to the right in the row of the relevant security group. A new window will open.
- In the top right, click on the Add Rule button. A new window will open.
- In the Rule drop-down menu, select the option for which you want to open a port (e.g. for SSH access to an instance, select the option SSH).
- (Optional) In the CIDR box, you can choose an address range from which access is possible. By default, worldwide access is possible ("any", 0.0.0.0/0). To limit access to the university network, create two identical rules, specifying an address range of 22.214.171.124/16 for the first and 126.96.36.199/16 for the second.
- Click on Add to complete the process.